The American Association of Fish Veterinarians (AAFV; fishvets.org) is an association of licensed North American veterinarians who practice fish medicine either as…
- part of their traditional practice;
- with or alongside their institutional employment;
- or as their main species group within their "fish practice.”
As with traditional veterinary medicine, fish medicine can be roughly divided into…
- pet fish (e.g. tropical & pond species like koi),
- food and bait fish (aquaculture production),
- lab animal,
- and natural resource fisheries.
Some of our members practice in all areas while others are more specialized in one or the other.
A central function of this association is to advance the quality and stature of clinical fish veterinary practice.